NO MORE BRACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The day came this morning when my orthodontist finally removed my braces. It was not a moment too soon. When he put them on, he estimated it would be 2 years. That was in August 2005. I'm just thankful my obstetrician wasn't 7 months under with her estimate of how long I would be pregnant!
I have to share that the braces removal process was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. After one of the assistants snapped the brackets off, my orthodontist came back and with a grinder to get rid of all the left over glue. IT WAS HORRIBLE! There was cold air blasting my teeth nonstop. The polisher was digging into my gums. I usually handle pain ok, but I wanted to scream! I was so not prepared for the pain either. I had asked Matthew what it was like when he got his braces off. He thought he remembered them using some kind of solvent to loosen the glue. He must have blocked out the painful memory from way back then.
At least it wasn't all bad, I left with Pappas and Starbucks gift cards plus a box of Crest white strips and a bottle of champagne. Something tells me that they don't give the bubbly to their teen-aged patients.
Since you've probably come to expect a picture of Mallory in all of my posts, I don't want to let you down. Here's a shot of her in her favorite spot these days. She'll just swing and look around forever. She is also really into looking at the ceiling fan even if its turned off. Go figure!


5 comments:
YAY for braces liberation day. And yes, I will confirm that in 8th grade I was not given a bottle of champagne as a celebration. I was, however, given a purple retainer - which I still have. :)
Yea! I could tell. Congrats!
My mom, sister, and J all had braces. My old dentist never said that I needed them. However, my current dentist thinks I'm a perfect candidate for the "Invisalign" type.
Whee.
Congratulations of the braces being removed! At first I just thought you were posting a picture of a happy, pretty mom. I guess I was still right...
I never had braces - after your story, I'm even more grateful. But your smile is pretty!
Yay! What an exciting day! Still can't wait to see y'all...maybe in a few weeks?
YAY for your beautiful teeth!
Post a Comment